[cryptography] Key escrow 2012

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Mar 30 11:51:20 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 7:10 AM, StealthMonger
<StealthMonger at nym.mixmin.net> wrote:
> Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> writes:
>
>> Not sure that we lost the crypto wars.  US companies export full strength
>> crypto these days, and neither the US nor most other western counties have
>> mandatory GAK.  Seems like a win to me :)
>
> Nope.  If we had won, crypto would be in widespread use today for
> email.  As it is, enough FUD and confusion was sown to avert that
> outcome.  Even on geek mailing lists such as this, signatures are
> rare.

We don't encrypt e-mail for other reasons, namely because key
management for e-mail is hard.  It's taken a long time for us to reach
consensus (have we?) on that and then work on things like DKIM (though
that still doesn't support encryption).

OTOH many people use OTR all the time, and many more might if it was
always implemented and enabled by default in all IM clients.

Also, we all use TLS, and this has very widespread application.  And
we regularly read about people stopped at the border and asked to
produce their passphrases for disk/filesystem encryption.

Nico