[cryptography] Key escrow 2012

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Mar 31 04:02:09 EDT 2012

StealthMonger <StealthMonger at nym.mixmin.net> writes:

>If we had won, crypto would be in widespread use today for email.  As it is,
>enough FUD and confusion was sown to avert that outcome.  Even on geek
>mailing lists such as this, signatures are rare.

That's because they serve little purpose and the tools are waaaay too hard to
use.  Someone (Matt Blaze?) once commented that if the NSA/FBI had done
nothing at the start of the crypto wars, AT&T would have sold a few hundred
TSD3600s and most of them would have sat on shelves gathering dust.  So in a
sense both sides won, we got to deploy strong crypto everywhere and the MIBs
get to reap the benefits of almost no-one using crypto for their comms (voice,
email, etc).

Peter.