[cryptography] Application Layer Encryption Protocols Tuned for Cellular?

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau at connotech.com
Sun Nov 4 13:47:51 EST 2012

ianG wrote:
> On 1/11/12 10:55 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>> Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Is anyone aware of of application layer encryption protocols with
>>> session
>>> management tuned for use on cellular networks?
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>>  From that description your problem isn't at the encryption-protocol
>> level at
>> all, you need a reliable transport mechanism for cellular networks,
>
> [...]
>
> Also, crypto tends to solve things that apply broadly across the layers,
> so if a design incorporates crypto right from the start, and uses those
> results broadly, benefits ensue

I am very novice at Host Identity Protocol, I encountered it while
making a quick survey of Internet protocols with a perspective similar
to the original post.

HIP addresses Host Identity *and* end-to-end security. The rendez-vous
functionality (addressing the mobility use case) seems in the design
right from the start.

HIP also appears as a lightweight IPsec, but certainly others can offer
more wisdom in this respect.

Not a simple solution, but how could the original post requirements be
adequately served by a simple solution?

Regards,

--
- Thierry Moreau