[cryptography] key exchange patented :)

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau at connotech.com
Thu Nov 22 13:07:28 EST 2012

ianG wrote:
> giving thanks to wisdom of intellectual property:
>
> http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/11/09/meet-the-texas-lawyer-suing-hundreds-of-companies-for-using-basic-web-encryption/
>

> the infringement lies solely in the use of the SSL or TLS “handshake”...

I did not read the press article but I went directly to the patent document.

After very superficial study, I would describe this patent disclosure
(US patent 5,412,730) as an encryption mode of operation in which a key
schedule operation is required for every encrypted block, invented circa
1988-1989. I wonder which protocol arrangement might practice the
patented mode of operation.

I have no motivation for filling the perception gap between my above
sketchy observation and the press article title.

Regards,

--
- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.