[cryptography] [zfs] SHA-3 winner announced

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Oct 3 08:25:06 EDT 2012

(comment to Saso's email forwarded by Eugen):

Well I think it would be fairer to say SHA-3 was initiatied more in the
direction of improving on the state of art in security of hash algorithms
given that SHA1 was demonstrated to have alarming short-falls, and given
that the only remaining FIPS alternative, SHA-2, was in the same family
having a very similar design to SHA-1, it was a very understandable and
rational worry that SHA-2 might start to show cracks under the same kind of
attacks.  (And that the attack against SHA1 (and method of attack) may
improve in effectiveness a bit also).

In that you see the selection of Keecak, focusing more on its high security
margin, and new defenses against existing known types of attacks.

If the price of that is slower, so be it - while fast primitives are very
useful, having things like MD5 full break and SHA-1 significant weakening
take the security protocols industry by surprise is also highly undesirable
and expensive to fix.  To some extent for the short/mid term almost
unfixable given the state of software update, and firmware update realities.

So while I am someone who pays attention to protocol, algorithm and
implementation efficiency, I am happy with Keecak.  And CPUs are geting
faster all the time, the Q3 2013 ivybridge (22nm) intel i7 next year is
going to be available in 12-core (24 hyperthreads) with 30GB cache.  Just
chuck another core at if if you have problems.  ARMs are also coming out in
more cores.  And AMD 7970 GPU has 2048 cores.  For embedded and portable
use, a reasonably fast and energy frugal 32-bit or 64-bit processor is
really cheap these days.  OK I know there's always a market for 8-bit
processors, on the extreme cheap/low power end, but the validity of the cost
complaint is diminishing even there.

Adam