[cryptography] Just how bad is OpenSSL ?

Ben Laurie ben at links.org
Tue Oct 30 10:28:13 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM, Matthew Green <matthewdgreen at gmail.com> wrote:
> So:
>
> 1. What is the process by which you get OpenSSL contributors to notice a serious issue and apply a patch?

I wouldn't know, I haven't tried :-)

In my case, just ask (me, that is, not some mailing list). If the
issue is serious, I will likely apply the patch.

> 2. What are the criteria for applying a patch? Is it just 'whatever interests the devs'? It seems that publishing an exploit works, but is that necessary?

I think it can be taken as read that the devs are interested in the
security and stability of OpenSSL.

> 3. It's 2012 -- why the **** is OpenSSL running its own ticket tracker and source control servers??? (RT is a disaster.)

Damn good question. Probably because we don't have a volunteer to move
everything somewhere else and keep it running.

> 4. What does it take to become an OpenSSL volunteer?

:-) Like most (good) open source projects: sustained contribution.