[cryptography] ICIJ's project - comment on cryptography & tools

NgPS ngps at rulemaker.net
Fri Apr 5 22:17:32 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 04:39:31PM -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
> Basically, this is complaint by the DEA is disinformation or
> misinformation (or both!).  If the former case we might even be
> staring at the start of a new crypto wars period.

In the movies and presumably in real life, bad guys have smart crooked
lawyers advising them. Surely the bad guys have the resources to set up
bunch of servers a la iMessage/Whatsapp, and write/deploy their own apps on
their mobile devices, running stripped-down custom ROMs, to communicate via
these servers, to avoid 3rd party MITM. Don't even need crooked developers,
just advertise on Hacker News and whole bunch of "hackers" will jump on it.

The CNET article sounds more like a cheapo trick to drive web traffic.