[cryptography] ICIJ's project - comment on cryptography & tools

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon Apr 8 20:43:45 EDT 2013

On Apr 8, 2013, at 7:38 AM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:

> We all know stories.  DES is now revealed as interfered with, yet for decades we told each other it was just parity bits.

But it turned out that the interference was to make it *stronger* against attacks, differential cryptanalysis, that only the NSA and IBM knew about at the time.

If history is a guide, weakness that TLAs insist on are transparent. They are about (effective) key size. We have no way to know whether this will continue to be the case, but I'd imagine that the gap in knowledge between the NSA and the academic community diminishes over time; so that makes me think that they'd be even more reluctant to try to slip in a hidden weakness today than in 1975.