[cryptography] LeastAuthority.com announces PRISM-proof storage service

ianG iang at iang.org
Tue Aug 13 14:53:53 EDT 2013

> On 8/13/13 11:02 AM, ianG wrote:
>> Super!  I think a commercial operator is an essential step forward.
>
> How so? Centralization via commercial operators doesn't seem to have
> helped in the email space lately.

Centralisation works when the server doesn't have any information of
value.  Presumably the most that LeastAuthority.com can say is that a
certain company has X GB of documents and updates that set at rate Y.
Not a lot of value there...

The reason email space providers are suffering is that even when the
content is encrypted, the To: and From are not.  This enables a fairly
dramatic capability -- seeing who's writing to whom.  In contrast to the
bland GB number, this would provide all a business's customers, all a
dissident's contacts, all an insniding trader's leakees, etc etc...