[cryptography] LeastAuthority.com announces PRISM-proof storage service

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Tue Aug 13 15:09:15 EDT 2013

On 8/13/13 12:53 PM, ianG wrote:
> On 13/08/13 20:16 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> On 8/13/13 11:02 AM, ianG wrote:
>>> Super!  I think a commercial operator is an essential step forward.
>>
>> How so? Centralization via commercial operators doesn't seem to have
>> helped in the email space lately.
>

> Centralisation works when the server doesn't have any information of
> value.  Presumably the most that LeastAuthority.com can say is that a
> certain company has X GB of documents and updates that set at rate Y.
> Not a lot of value there...

Although presumably there would be value in shutting down a
privacy-protecting service just so that people can't benefit from it any
longer. When the assumption is that everything must be public, any
service that keeps some information non-public might be perceived as a
threat.

> The reason email space providers are suffering is that even when the
> content is encrypted, the To: and From are not.  This enables a fairly
> dramatic capability -- seeing who's writing to whom.  In contrast to the
> bland GB number, this would provide all a business's customers, all a
> dissident's contacts, all an insniding trader's leakees, etc etc...

Sure, that problem is well-known by now. :-/ However, I'm not convinced
that email providers have been shut down (or have done so proactively)
only because they send around To and From addresses.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/