[cryptography] LeastAuthority.com announces PRISM-proof storage service

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Aug 13 16:10:36 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:
> Super!  I think a commercial operator is an essential step forward.

A few points:

 - if only you access your own files then there's much less interest
for a government in your files: they might contain evidence of crimes
and conspiracies, but you can always be compelled to produce those

 - if you share files then traffic analysis will reveal much about
what you're up to, and there may be much interest in getting at your
files' contents.

 - commercial operators who give you software to run can compromise
(or allow governments to compromise) you even if they are not
technically an end-point[*] for your end-to-end protocols.

 - it's really not easy to defeat the PRISMs.  the problem is
*political* more than technological.

 - i'm not trying to detract from Tahoe-LAFS -- it's a spectacular
idea, I wish it well, and I generally endorse filesystems of this
sort.

[*]  In Tahoe-LAFS, ZFS, and any other similar filesystems, there is
only one end-point: the client(s); the server, in particular, is NOT
an end-point.

Nico