[cryptography] urandom vs random

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Aug 17 18:17:18 EDT 2013

On 2013-08-17 10:12 PM, Ben Laurie wrote:

> What "external" crypto can you not fix? Windows? Then don't use
> Windows. You can fix any crypto in Linux or FreeBSD.

No you cannot.

> So what? BSD's definition is superior. Linux should fix their RNG. Or
> these people who you think should implement their own should. Or they
> could just switch to BSD.

That it does not, implicitly admits that you, Ben Laurie, cannot fix linux.

We want that all implementations of /dev/random and /dev/urandom behave
the same, and that they behave correctly on all machines.  We don't have
that.

Hence the need for each implementer to reinvent the wheel.