[cryptography] urandom vs random

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 09:20:45 EDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 05:07:49PM -0700, coderman wrote:
> i am surprised this has not surfaced more often in this thread:
>  if you need good entropy: use a hardware entropy generator!

It's a shame http://entropykey.co.uk is no longer in business. I was able to
procure 5 entropy keys just before they folded, and they're awesome. All the
hardware specifications were open, as well as the userspace software. I ended
up creating an entropy server with these keys, of which I feed all my VM
entropy pools with. You can see it at http://hundun.ae.st. I'm currently
working on a program to feed the random data found from an RTL-SDR dongle into
the entropy pool. Then just tune to an empty frequency, and let atmospheric
noise rule.

At any event, I'm in agreeance: hardware true random number generators > *.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o