[cryptography] urandom vs random

ianG iang at iang.org
Mon Aug 19 11:31:12 EDT 2013

On 19/08/13 18:21 PM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 09:41:20AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> Yeah, I really liked EntropyKey. I tried to place an order last year
>> (or early this year). It was never fulfilled and no one responded.
>>
>> I knew the were having some troubles, but I could not determine the
>> cause. Why did they fold?
>
> I don't know why they folded. I'm guessing lack of demand didn't justify
> their costs. Possibly understaffed as well. When I placed my order, it took
> them 8 weeks to ship it, and I was emailing anyone and everyone I could to
> get a status update or anything. It's too bad. They had the best product.

You mean, they had the best marketing :)  if they had a product, you
would have had it.

It's a recurring theme -- there doesn't seem to be enough market demand
for Hardware RNGs.

I once toyed with the idea of creating an open source hardware design
for a USB interface.  Then, seed the market by buying a few thou.  And
finally, encourage random USB parts manufacturers to just throw it on to
their chip.

The thing is, the real estate required for a hardware RNG is fairly
minimal, and USB devices can be promiscuous, offering multiple
interfaces for little effort.  So why not come up with a USB memory
stick that also advertises a random file as a separate device?

Just a pipe dream, needs a hardware geek to push it.