[cryptography] urandom vs random

Patrick Pelletier code at funwithsoftware.org
Tue Aug 20 00:26:51 EDT 2013

On 8/19/13 1:51 PM, grarpamp wrote:

> This reminds me, where are the open designs for a strong hwRNG based
> on the common smoke detector? People say they want a hwRNG, lots
> of them are free for asking right down the street at the demolition site.
> But where are the designs?

The creator of HotBits provides a fair amount of information about his
design:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hotbits/hardware3.html

Although he actually recommends against using the Americium from smoke
detectors, and says it is safer to purchase a commercial Cesium
radiation source, which he provides links to.

--Patrick