[cryptography] no-keyring public

Matthew Orgass darkstar at city-net.com
Sun Aug 25 08:13:51 EDT 2013

On 2013-08-25 alserkli at inbox.ru wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Aug 2013, Krisztián Pintér wrote:
>> has anybody done something like that already? does it have a name?
>
> There was a ECC program from the previous century that worked as you
> described: the private key was derived solely from the user password.

Seccure: http://point-at-infinity.org/seccure/

It doesn't do any key stretching plus has a number of implementation
problems, but I used it a little for backups until it corrupted some and I
found the scrypt utility.  Seccure seemed nice from a usability
perspective other than that you couldn't quite decrypt and pipe the result
to less reliably.  There were command line arguments for curve and MAC
length that you just had to get right or it didn't work.  It could even do
ECDH.

I wish there were more simple command line crypto utilities.

-Matt