[cryptography] Which encryption chips are compromised?

Steve Weis steveweis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 21:28:31 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:

> unredacted:
>  https://peertech.org/dist/nsa-cpp-goals-FY2013-unredact.png
>
> "Intel Ivy Bridge"

Is this a guess because "Intel Ivy Bridge" fits into the redacted space or
is there some other evidence?

Ivy Bridge processors are general purpose x86 CPUs. It doesn't make sense
to me to refer to it as an "encryption chip" for "web encryption devices".
Do you know of products using IVB processors for SSL offloading or in VPN
appliances?

To me, the redacted document sounds like it's referring to a security
processor used for SSL offloading. For example, something like a Cavium
Nitrox (which I'm not implying is the subject of the document).