[cryptography] Which encryption chips are compromised?

Steve Weis steveweis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 11:04:00 EST 2013

On Dec 12, 2013 6:08 AM, "coderman" <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:

> i see your skepticism, and i raise you a retort! ;)
>
> i even have a list of candidates you can experiment with to confirm
> Intel Ivy Bridge as best fit. [0]

I think this is a weak guess.

The document is talking about FY2013.  IVB already shipped in 2012. I'd
guess it was fabricated for testing in 2009-2010 and designed for a few
years prior.

What enablement would be "complete" in 2013 for something that has been on
the market a year and is already being phased out?

By 2013, Intel had already started shipping Haswell. They did launch new
IVB E5v2 Xeon server processors this fall, but future CPUs will be Haswell
and Broadwell.

Intel already has the next, next generation Skylake with SGX fabricated for
testing.

I still think the document is talking about a dedicated crypto chip for VPN
and SSL acceleration devices, just like it says.