[cryptography] DNSNMC replaces Certificate Authorities with Namecoin and fixes HTTPS security

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Dec 22 06:58:02 EST 2013

On 2013-12-22 19:44, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> The solution to this is that names should not claimed, they should be
> given by the community that values the association.  Neither DNS nor
> namecoin allows for that, so both are inadequate.  As an example,
> consider how Wikipedia pages are named: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke

Wikipedia does a pretty good job on naming.  The names of Wikepedia
articles are not politicized, but its articles are severely politicized,
because they rely on Academia and the New York Times as final authority,
and Academia and the New York Times is politicized.

If it was naming keys, so that various entities wanted each wanted their
own key given a certain popular name, naming keys would also be politicized.

Yes, we should have some social procedure for naming names, so that the
the major influence is what other people call the key, rather than what
the owner of the key wants to key to be called, but any such procedure
will come under attack.