[cryptography] Can we move to a forum, please?

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Tue Dec 24 21:39:22 EST 2013

On 24 Dec 2013 at 19:40, Greg wrote:

> So, this might come as a shock to you, but as the first email mentioned,
> forum software can be easily configured to reproduce the behavior of a
> mailing list.

Can you elaborate?  I've never seen a forum that did so.

> You can subscribe to individual threads, and you can even subscribe to
> individual forums.
>
> That means that whenever someone posts a new thread, or a reply to a
> thread, you'll get an email about it.

I *do* get that and it is basically useless: it means I have go to my
browser, go to the forum, log in, and then sort out what the new stuff
was [and in my experience, it isn't very good at keeping track of what
you've seen and what you haven't, so if you don't look at everything
that's new, many forums "forget"].

> .. If the admins configured the forum
> to include the message, you'll get the entire message in that email as
> well.

That's not useful (for me), either: will that thread in my email client?
If I want to save/archive a thread, is there some clean way to do that?
Can I just hit "reply" and have the right thing happen?  [the forums I've
used that have that feature, just send me a message that says "there's
been a reply to your message <title> click here to view the thread" and
since I run a moderately tight ship, I then have to *log*in* to the forum
[and for some, that loses the link and it doesn't get me to the right
thread anyway].  If I forward it to a friend or print it out, will it
happen "just like" on a mailing list [in terms of what the recipient sees
or what gets printed out]?

> It's possible (via a plugin usually), to even have it setup where you
> can reply to the email notification and have your reply appear as a post
> in the forums.

*even*?  So it isnt' "just like" a mailing list at all.  Since I replied
to this post by hitting 'r' in my email client... and out it went.

I know PHPbb has gotten a lot fancier, but I still think that it is not
near as convenient as a mailing list.

[but I would vote strongly for having the list archived online!  That
makes searches of old threads and most every other 'benefit' of a forum
available while not messing up the ongoing discussion mechanism at all]

  /Bernie\
mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA