[cryptography] New Hand Cipher - The Drunken Bishop

andrew cooke andrew at acooke.org
Thu Dec 26 15:57:11 EST 2013

here's my suggestion on a possibly harder version.

first, remove the complicated edge rules.  instead, imagine that the board
repeats.  so something leaving nort from h4 will arrive at a7.  this might
help remove biases from the corners (where you can be stuck for one move).
the drawback is that this almost removes the "drunken" switching from black to
white, but see below.

second, add a rook that moves in a similar way, but the directions are
horizontal and vertical.  this starts at b3, say (see below).

third, the moves are made alternately (bishop, rook, bishop, rook, bishop,
rook), and if at any time one piece threatens the other, they change position.

and maybe the plaintext is only added to one piece?

and maybe the row number of the rook is a bit rotation applied to the output?

andrew