[cryptography] beginner crypto

ianG iang at iang.org
Sun Dec 29 01:53:49 EST 2013

On 29/12/13 02:35 AM, RossMcFarlane wrote:
> Hi everyone, I don't want to waste your time but I'd love to learn some more about cryptography, I was recommended this mailing list but its aimed well above my standard.

Yes, this is about crotchety old war armchair cryptographers fighting
decades-old battles.  So etiquette helps, but which one is a secret.

> I'm based in the UK 17 years old and to be pointed in the direction of some good resources would be great, I've watched a lot of the YouTube stuff but would like a step up from there.

Question 1; are you interested in maths or in programming?  Your
survival probability increases if it is only one.

If in programming, what language?  What you probably would fine easiest
would be to read the wikipedia pages on block ciphers.  Then search for
an algorithm and try and get it going.

There was once an algorithm called Tiny which was quite nice.

If in maths, others can comment.

iang