[cryptography] beginner crypto

Jeffrey Goldberg Jeffrey at goldmark.org
Mon Dec 30 10:17:36 EST 2013

On Dec 29, 2013, at 3:56 PM, yersinia <yersinia.spiros at gmail.com> wrote:

>> [1] https://www.coursera.org/course/crypto
>> [2] https://www.coursera.org/course/crypto2

> Very nice as a crypto courses.

I can also vouch for this.

The first one (in addition to stuff I’d sort of picked up on my own) a few years back put me in a position where I can now read a lot of the primary literature in cryptology.

The math for cryptography isn’t hard, but it is abstract and does require being able to think mathematically. I found “Understanding Cryptography”

  http://wiki.crypto.rub.de/Buch/

excellent for understanding the math. But note that it takes a different approach than the crypto course, and you should not rely on that book alone.

If anyone points you (Ross) to Applied Cryptography, I’d recommend that you stay away. It was valuable at its time, but it is of historical significance only at this point.

Cheers,

-j