[cryptography] How much does it cost to start a root CA ?

John Case case at SDF.ORG
Fri Jan 4 16:05:46 EST 2013

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, yersinia wrote:

>> Finally, it seems to me that since there re so few root CAs (~30 ?) and the
>> service provided is such an arbitrary, misunderstood one, that existing CAs
>> would be actively trying to prevent new entrants ... and establish
>> themsevles as toll collectors with a pseudo monopoly ... what evidence (if
>> any) do we have that they are pursuing such an ecosystem ?
>
> Many today say that there are too many root CA, not a few. Is not it?
> https://www.eff.org/observatory.

Maybe.  That's outside the scope of the questions I asked, though - I'm
just interested in how difficult it is currently to start one, and what
barriers the incumbents are putting into place...