[cryptography] How much does it cost to start a root CA ?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Jan 6 02:27:32 EST 2013

On 2013-01-05 12:07 PM, Morlock Elloi wrote:
> Correct. The cost of being CA is equal to the cost of getting CA signing pub key into the target audience browsers.
>
> You can (sorted by increasing security, starting with zero):
>
> 1 - go through browser vendors,
> 2 - have your users to install additional CA key into their existing browsers (and perhaps remove others), or
> 3 - distribute your own browser package.
>
> Pick one.

Most of the browsers are open source.  A fork could be justified by
adding privacy value or security value, as, for example, SRWare Iron or
the Tor browser.

This also applies pressure on the major browsers to refrain from too
flagrantly violating their customer's privacy.

Perhaps we need a browser that facilitates communication and interaction
between the holder of one bitcoin key and the holder of another.