[cryptography] Why anon-DH is less damaging than current browser PKI (a rant in five paragraphs)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Jan 6 19:35:00 EST 2013

On 2013-01-07 9:20 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> I'll update it as soon as browser PKI starts working (meaning that we have
> real evidence that it's effectively preventing the sorts of things attackers
> are doing, phishing and so on).  Deal?

The fundamental cause of phishing is that it is so easy to present a
false email identity.

A phisher is typically representing himself as an entity with which you
have a login relationship.

To protect against login phishing, we need to both provide
password-authenticated key agreement
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password-authenticated_key_agreement>, and
also provide some method whereby entities that have a login relationship
with you can communicate, and get automatically protected from spam
filtering and flagged as coming from an entity where you have a login
relationship - for example, whenever you logged in, your email client
would get information associating a public key with that login
relationship.