[cryptography] University of Waterloo's Quantum Cryptography School for Young Students

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 15:19:15 EST 2013

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think it's great that
students will be learing something about quantum physics, but OTOH,
I think quantum crypto is a solution looking for a problem and so
this is only going to increase the QC / QKD hype of future generations.

(From http://iqc.uwaterloo.ca/conferences/qcsys2013)
General Information
A summer school for high school students.

About the School:
The Quantum Cryptography School for Young Students is a unique,
week-long enrichment program for students hosted by the Institute for
Quantum Computing at the University of Waterloo. This year the program
will run through August 12 — 16, 2013. The school offers an
interesting blend of lectures, hands-on experiments and group work
focused on quantum cryptography — a cutting-edge field that utilizes
the fascinating laws of quantum mechanics to develop unbreakable
encryption that protects communication.

Students get a first-hand look into the physics and mathematics of
quantum mechanics, cryptography and how they merge into one of the
most exciting topics in contemporary science — quantum cryptography.
Participants meet and collaborate with some of the most renowned
researchers the field has to offer. Daily social activities encourage
relationship building between participants.

QCSYS covers all costs associated with the program except travel to
and from Waterloo. Travel bursaries are
available. All students, including those from the Waterloo region,
stay in a university residence with QCSYS chaperones. The program has
space for 40 participants.

QCSYS is for students who are:
In grades 11 or 12 (or equivalent) Exceptional grade 10 students may
be accepted space permitting
Age 15 and older
Enrolled in or have completed grade 11 mathematics or higher (grade 11
physics is recommended but not mandatory)
Fluent in English

-kevin
We *cause* accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein