[cryptography] University of Waterloo's Quantum Cryptography School for Young Students

Jean-Philippe Aumasson jeanphilippe.aumasson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 17:19:40 EST 2013

Somewhat related:

"
I believe that, in spite of appearances, the quantum computing story
is nearing its end, not because somebody proves that it is impossible,
but rather because 20 years is a typical lifetime of any big bubble in
science, because too many unfounded promises have been made, because
people get tired and annoyed by almost daily announcements of new
“breakthroughs”, because all the tenure positions in quantum computing
are already occupied, and because the proponents are growing older and
less zealous, while the younger generation seeks for something new …

In fact, quantum computing is not so much a scientific, as a
sociological problem which has expanded out of all proportion due to
the US system of funding scientific research (which is now being
copied all over the world). While having some positive sides, this
system is unstable against spontaneous formation of bubbles and
mafia-like structures. It pushes the average researcher to wild
exaggerations on the border of fraud and sometimes beyond. Also, it is
much easier to understand the workings of the funding system, than the
workings of Nature, and these two skills only rarely come together.
"
http://arxiv.org/abs/1212.3562
(see also a response on http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=1211)