[cryptography] openssl on git

Ben Laurie ben at links.org
Tue Jan 8 13:21:58 EST 2013

On 8 January 2013 18:06, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Ben Laurie <ben at links.org> wrote:
>> We're experimenting with moving openssl to git. Again.
>>
>> We've tried an import using cvs2git - does anyone have any views on
>> better tools?
>>
>> You can see the results here (not all branches pushed to github yet,
>> let me know if there's a particular branch you'd like me to add):
>> https://github.com/benlaurie/openssl.
>>
>> Any comments?
> Would you consider adding a hook to git (assuming it include the ability).
>
> Have the hook replace tabs with white space. This is necessary because
> different editors render tabs in different widths. So white space
> makes thing consistent for everyone.
>
> Then have the hook format the source code against some standard. I
> don't care which, as long as its consistent.

Funnily enough we've been discussing this.

The problem is that the vast majority of the code is formatted to look
OK with pure tab indentation. Which means that with tabs set to a
standard 8 columns it sucks (though that does appear to be what was
used in the original code base).

People are reluctant to change _all_ the code for the sake of
indentation and so the current favourite option is to adopt a code
style that works with different tab widths (specifically 4 and 8
column) and use no spaces. I realise that almost no-one works this
way, but it does seem like a sensible option in this case.

I would certainly like to have an agreed style that is consistent.