[cryptography] openssl on git

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Wed Jan 9 00:18:34 EST 2013

On 9 January 2013 00:08, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Would you consider adding a hook to git (assuming it include the ability).
>>>
>>> Have the hook replace tabs with white space. This is necessary because
>>> different editors render tabs in different widths. So white space
>>> makes thing consistent for everyone.
>>
>> Hooks shouldn't modify the commit, just accept or reject.
> Thanks Nico.
>
> Out of curiosity: what does one typically do when there's a standard
> policy to enforce? I [personally] would not reject a check-in for
> whitespace (I would reject for many other reasons, though - such as
> CompSci 101 omissions).

The standard policy is usually enforced via post-commit code review &
lots of yelling
or via commit hooks which look for specific indicators and reject the
commit if they fail.

> Perhaps allow the check-in to proceed unmolested, and then have a
> second process run after the commit to perform policy enforcement (for
> example, whitespace or coding style). In this scenario, would the
> second process perform a second commit?

this can break git blame.
I prefer a manual tool "make fixlint" or the like which does the
whitespace fixes.

--
Eitan Adler