[cryptography] yet another certificate MITM attack

John Kemp john at jkemp.net
Fri Jan 11 14:04:36 EST 2013

On Jan 11, 2013, at 1:53 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> One of the things I find most befuddling: the industry has conditioned
> many folks to accept this sort of thing as "normal"
> (Proxy/Interception on a "secure' channel"), even when those same
> folks know better. Its seems to be a repeat of browsers conditioning
> users.

Although I agree that it is sad that at least the _spirit_ of end-to-end semantics is violated here, I believe that proxy browsing has the enthusiastic support of those people who are now able to browse the full Web with the webpages displaying nicely despite poor network connections being accessed by phones with a tiny screen and a tiny processor incapable of running a "proper" web browser.

Opera Mini has made a business of this for years. The telco network operators did it before them (with WAP).  And Nokia does it too.

I don't particularly like it, but I do believe that it is a perfectly valid response to the need to create a Web browsing experience for  everyone, not just the developed world.

JohnK