[cryptography] OAEP for RSA signatures?

ianG iang at iang.org
Sat Jan 26 10:00:10 EST 2013

Apologies in advance ;) but a cryptography question:

I'm coding (or have coded) a digital signature class in RSA.  In my
research on how to frame the input to the RSA private key operation, I
was told words to effect "just use OAEP and you're done and dusted."
Which was convenient as that was already available/coded.

However I haven't seen any other code doing this - it is mostly PKCS1,
etc, and RFC3447 doesn't enlighten in this direction.

Could OAEP be considered reasonable for signatures?  or is this a case
of totally inappropriate?  Or somewhere in between?