[cryptography] openssl on git

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Mon Jan 28 03:45:32 EST 2013

You know other source control systems, and presumably git also, have an
excludes list which can contain wildcards.  It comes prepopulated with eg
*.o - as you probably dont want to check them in.

I think you could classify this as a git bug (or more probably a mistake in
how github are using/configuring git) that it doesnt exclude checking in
.ssh and maybe some of the .ssh exclusive related extensions.

I say this because its not like ssh is some strange third party app with
unknown extension: git and cvs, cvn etc all directly rely on ssh and have
various things about ssh baked into them.

(The user can always override or change if he really wants to do check in
.ssh on a private heavily guarded repo or because hes using it for test
keys only etc).

Adam