[cryptography] An encryption project

ianG iang at iang.org
Mon Jan 28 08:45:33 EST 2013

On 28/01/13 16:37 PM, Paul Christian wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> I am new to the list and have in interest in encryption, but not much
> experiance in breaking/testing or a details understanding of modern methods.
> I am interested in developing some technology to allow a user to
> communicate as securly as possible between a termial on an unsecure
> network and another users.

What do you mean by terminal?  Phone?  PC?  Green screen?

I would suggest you look at things like Skype, OpenPGP, Hushmail.  Not
because they do what you want but because they do parts of what you want.

> ie encrypted message from browser to user on another computer.

Anything using a browser would only be rated "medium" security in my book.

> Under
> circumstances that the senders life may depend on it being secure.

Do you really want that?  Or is it just 'cool' ?  If you really want
that, it will take a long time.  If it is just cool, look for something
else that might take less time :)  you can always come back...

> I have a few ideas in mind, but two important questions;
> is it worth while?

There are lots and lots of attempts, so to some it must be worthwhile.

> - is ssl good enough? ( it doesn't seem to be from my
> reading)

SSL is for client to server communications, and it is point to point.
So for a start, everyone on the servers can read the messages.  Also, it
is pretty much encumbered by its certificate design, so it is typically
hard to set up and get working for the user/client.

> Anyone want to try and decode/break it once I have a demonstrator?

Typically nobody cares about helping others, they are too busy on their
own code.  The only way you can get some interest is if your system is
famous and used by a lot of people.