[cryptography] Isn't it odd that...

Thor Lancelot Simon tls at panix.com
Tue Jan 29 22:40:10 EST 2013

...despite all the attacks we've seen on compresion-before-encryption, and all the timing
atatacks we've seen on encryption, and the highly data-dependent computational effort
associated with compression (including in widespread, hardware-accelerated, and valuable
applications like lossy video compression, where the complexity of the input, even in
applications where hardware escrow of some kind hides a session key, is exposed by the
encoding of the output)...

..we haven't really seen any known-plaintext key recovery attacks facilitated by timing
analysis of compressors applied prior to encryption?

 Thor Lancelot Simon	                                      tls at panix.com

   	It's very complicated.  It's very cumbersome.  There's a
   	lot of numbers involved with it.