[cryptography] Is the NSA now a civilian intelligence agency? (Was: Re: Snowden: Fabricating Digital Keys?)

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 19:55:45 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> And when LEA
>>> get caught doing this nothing terribly bad happens to LEA (no officers
>>> go to prison, for example).
>>
>> It is often in the interest/whim of the executive to decline to
>> prosecute its own,
>> even if only to save embarassment, so many of these cases will never see a jury.
>> That's why you need citizen prosecutors who can bring cases before both grand
>> and final jury. For example, how many times have you seen a LE vehicle failing
>> to signal, speeding/reckless, with broken running lights, etc... now
>> try to criminally
>> (not administratively) prosecute that just as you might be prosecuted for same.
>
> I'd love to see proposals for how to criminal prosecutions by the
> public would work.
Sparta, one of the first democracies, would put the public officials
on trial at the end of their term. It was part of the process.

I imagine their Spartan was sufficiently different so that folks like
Ted Kennedy (liar, cheat, murderer) would not have been able to serve
the class.

Sorry for the OT chatter.

Jeff