[cryptography] Is the NSA now a civilian intelligence agency? (Was: Re: Snowden: Fabricating Digital Keys?)

ianG iang at iang.org
Tue Jul 2 05:07:33 EDT 2013

On 2/07/13 03:33 AM, mtm wrote:
> as a spartan of sorts, and one thats shared laphroig with both a plank
> member of the nsa and the creator of fbi's hrt, id like to say these
> fellas are decent men and not petty.

I know a few of the older ones as well.  They are indeed decent men, and
historically their creation gets cut a lot of slack by society.

There are differences between the ones who founded the organisation, the
machine they created, the people who make the decisions now, and what
the customers demand of them.

Most of the early guys involved had direct knowledge of a serious enemy
and more understandable wars.  Everyone knew who the enemy was.  If you
think of the last 2 decades or so, post-Berlin Wall, you can see a huge
change in perspective.

Today, you'd be hard pressed to even justify even starting the NSA if
you had a discussion of who the enemy is;  our geopolitical threat
scenario is more like the 1920s.

Also, as we learnt from recent banking history, it only takes a few
deviations to drift into crisis when power is large and concentrated.

iang