[cryptography] What project would you finance? [WAS: Potential funding for crypto-related projects]

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Wed Jul 3 19:23:25 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 12:25:50PM +0200, Adam Back wrote:
> I think it time to deprecate non-https (and non-forward secret
> ciphersuites.)  Compute power has moved on, session cacheing works,
> symmetric crypto is cheap.

A reasonable use for the $3k the OP is talking about would be to add
node-to-node SSL encryption w/o mandatory authentication to Bitcoin
actually.

I'm pretty sure $3k could hire a developer to implement that - I'd do it
msyelf and I think the hourly rate would be reasonable - while
Better-Than-Nothing-Security is probably a more expensive project. But
if you can get significantly more funds BTNS probably could have more
widespread impact.

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org