[cryptography] [liberationtech] Heml.is - "The Beautiful & Secure Messenger"

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Jul 12 14:48:19 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-13 12:20 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> It's worth noting that the maintainer of record (me) for the Linux RNG
> quit the project about two years ago precisely because Linus decided
> to include a patch from Intel to allow their unauditable RdRand to
> bypass the entropy pool over my strenuous objections.

Is there a plausible rationale for bypassing the entropy pool?

How unauditable is RdRand?

Is RdRand unauditable because it uses magic instructions that do
unknowable things?  Is it designed to actively resist audit?  Has Intel
gone out of its way to prevent you from knowing how good their true
random generation is?