[cryptography] Radiation Emission Controls

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Tue Jul 30 12:34:48 EDT 2013

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013, John Young wrote:
> An engineer formerly working at the National Radio Astronomy
> Observatory (http://www.gb.nrao.edu/nrqz/) lists its radiation
> emissions controls:
>
> http://cryptome.org/2013/07/radiated-emissions-control.htm
>
> Among them is the banning of vehicles which use spark plugs,
> thus diesel-fueled are required.
>
> Which suggests a question about radiation emissions at
> NSA Utah Data Center's 32 large generators.
>
> Since nearly all government and commercial data centers
> have generator back-ups, how are emissions from generators
> controlled?

This is confusing two somewhat different things:
Radio noise emitted by spark plugs is way too small to bother 99% of
other electronic equipment (including other computing equipment).  And
I don't think the NSA is worried about secret information being leaked
out via spark-plug radio emissions because the generator doesn't have
access to any secrets.  (I.e., the only information leaked would be that
the generator is running & its RPM (& maybe concievably the make/model
if inferrable from timing patterns), none of which seems particularly
sensitive.

In contrast, astronomers are looking for *very* tiny signals which
may well be drowned out by (e.g.) spark-plug noise, so
(a) radio telescopes use *very* sensitive low-noise radio receivers, and
(b) radio telescopes tend to be located in valleys so the terrain shields
    them from many human-made sources of radio noise,
(c) banning spark plugs (and electric razors and many other sources of
    low-level radio noise) near radio telescopes makes sense

> NRAO also "banned digital cameras down range after they
> proved quite noisy."
>
> Are noisy digital camera emissions more privacy threatening
> than phone signals? Is NSA harvesting those emissions?

It wouldn't surprise me if digital-camera CCD readouts radiated
radio signals just like (e.g.) flat-panel display screens, and that
the NSA could harvest these.  So... if someone takes a digital-camera
picture of secret information, a nearby radio receiver could pick up
enough signal to reconstruct the picture.

I'm sure the NSA tries to rule out leakage of this sort by the same
sort of anti-Tempest guidelines (e.g., radio shielding, trying to
enforce a no-spies-nearby "quarantine zone" around secure facilities)
as for other compromising radio emissions.  Not to mention that cameras
are often forbidden in secure facilities anyway.....
takes a digital-camera

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA