[cryptography] Interesting Webcrypto question

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 19:07:21 EST 2013

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM, Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> wrote:

> It does make a lot of sense not to sell embargoed countries physical
> weaponry.  (I guess unless the West has just flip-flopped sides on the
> embargoed country and the newly installed dictator is now "our" dictator,
> then the mil-industry complex will be glad to have a clearance sale of
> previous previous gen old-stock mil-hardware.)
I think its a little more than embargoed countries. For example, the
US might embargo a middle eastern country - the embargo will not allow
the import of pistachio nuts, but it will allow import of oil..... EAR
AT-provisions (anti-terrorism) are a little different as I [somewhat]
understand them.

In the end, I tend to agree with OpenSSL's Steve Marquess (and others)
- export crypto, not jobs.

Sorry about the off-topicness.

Jeff