[cryptography] Client TLS Certificates - why not?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Mar 6 03:40:43 EST 2013

On 2013-03-06 4:41 AM, StealthMonger wrote:
> What's wrong with the following simple idea:
>
> 1. p2p: The parties opportunistically verify out-of-band after
> exchanging keys via public key servers or (insecure) email.
>
> 2. Prospective customer verification of merchant: Merchant includes
> the ID of its signing key in every advertisement and repeatedly
> admonishes prospects to "Accept No Substitutes".
>
> 3.  Merchant authentication of Customer: Merchants don't deal with
> people.  They deal with keys.  It's the key that has the purchasing
> power, not some person.  Nobody has the illusion that correlation
> between key and person is any stronger than that person's security
> habits.
>
> 4.  Etc.

Let us suppose we have urls that contain public keys, or hashes of them,
or shared secrets, and let us suppose that clients and servers know how
to handle them:  That the client will insist that the server proves
knowledge of the corresponding secret key, or knowledge of the shared
secret, without spilling the shared secret to all and sundry.

Can you implement your above design while hiding the keys in urls,
rather than inflicting them on the suffering user?