[cryptography] NaCl Documentation?

Nicolai nicolai-cryptography at chocolatine.org
Mon Mar 11 12:59:00 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 07:22:50AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is anyone aware of documentation for NaCl?

There are C and C++ examples on the website, organized on the left side,
by topic.  e.g.:

  http://nacl.cr.yp.to/hash.html

describes hashing.

> There also does not appear to be a mailing list:
> https://www.google.com/#q=nacl+library+mailing+list+site:nacl.cr.yp.to.

You're not the first person to ask about this. :)

Dan recently said on twitter that the boring-crypto list would be most
appropriate:

  https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!aboutgroup/boring-crypto

> A newbie question (if you have experience with the library): how does
> one (1) specify a compiler; and (2) execute the self tests. Executing
> `$ CC=gcc; ./do` appears to have hung.

I haven't looked into this but it appears the default compiler specified
by NaCl is gcc.  Have a look at "nacl-20110221/okcompilers/c".  Changing
options to clang, I can see clang processes in the output of `top`, and
clang log entries in "nacl-20110221/build/$host/log".  Compiling with
clang appears to fail in the same spot for me as gcc, since OpenBSD
unfortunately lacks EPROTO.

So since you want gcc, the official installation instructions should
suffice:

  wget http://hyperelliptic.org/nacl/nacl-20110221.tar.bz2
  bunzip2 < nacl-20110221.tar.bz2 | tar -xf -
  cd nacl-20110221
  ./do

> (The `do` script has some `echo` statements, but I have not gotten any
> output).

You won't get feedback for a while.  After beginning the do script, you
can tail -f nacl-20110221/build/$host/log to see progress.

Nicolai