[cryptography] NaCl Documentation?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 13:27:50 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Nicolai
<nicolai-cryptography at chocolatine.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 07:22:50AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is anyone aware of documentation for NaCl?
>
> There are C and C++ examples on the website, organized on the left side,
> by topic.  e.g.:
>
>   http://nacl.cr.yp.to/hash.html
>
> describes hashing.
>
>> There also does not appear to be a mailing list:
>> https://www.google.com/#q=nacl+library+mailing+list+site:nacl.cr.yp.to.
>
> You're not the first person to ask about this. :)
>
> Dan recently said on twitter that the boring-crypto list would be most
> appropriate:
>
>   https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!aboutgroup/boring-crypto
>
>> A newbie question (if you have experience with the library): how does
>> one (1) specify a compiler; and (2) execute the self tests. Executing
>> `$ CC=gcc; ./do` appears to have hung.
>
> I haven't looked into this but it appears the default compiler specified
> by NaCl is gcc.  Have a look at "nacl-20110221/okcompilers/c".  Changing
> options to clang, I can see clang processes in the output of `top`, and
> clang log entries in "nacl-20110221/build/$host/log".  Compiling with
> clang appears to fail in the same spot for me as gcc, since OpenBSD
> unfortunately lacks EPROTO.
>
> So since you want gcc, the official installation instructions should
> suffice:
>
>   wget http://hyperelliptic.org/nacl/nacl-20110221.tar.bz2
>   bunzip2 < nacl-20110221.tar.bz2 | tar -xf -
>   cd nacl-20110221
>   ./do
>
>> (The `do` script has some `echo` statements, but I have not gotten any
>> output).
>
> You won't get feedback for a while.  After beginning the do script, you
> can tail -f nacl-20110221/build/$host/log to see progress.

Thanks Nicolai. A few more questions. I'm going to leave them on list
in case it could help others.

How/where does one modify compiler, copiler flags, and linker flags?
Can we do it via CC, CFLAGS,a nd LDFLAGS?

Do the `do` scripts have a verbose option? The scripts act somewhat
like kconfog/kbuild (silent/no output), but they do not appear to take
the V option.

Is there a test suite, and how do you run it? Nothing jumped out at me
when browsing directories (But I could have missed it).

Jeff