[cryptography] Sodium. (Was: Re: NaCl Documentation?)

Joachim Strömbergson Joachim at Strombergson.com
Tue Mar 12 03:53:55 EDT 2013

Aloha!

On 2013-03-11 12:22 , Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is anyone aware of documentation for NaCl? There does not appears to
> be a README or INSTALL at the moment, and Google is not being very
> helpful: https://www.google.com/#q=nacl+library+documentation+site:nacl.cr.yp.to.
> There also does not appear to be a mailing list:
> https://www.google.com/#q=nacl+library+mailing+list+site:nacl.cr.yp.to.
>
> A newbie question (if you have experience with the library): how does
> one (1) specify a compiler; and (2) execute the self tests. Executing
> `$ CC=gcc; ./do` appears to have hung. (The `do` script has some
> `echo` statements, but I have not gotten any output).

There is a new implementation of NaCl by Frand Denis called Sodium that
tries to be more portable and user friendly. There are wrappers for
Python and Ruby, several prepackaged versions for different systems etc.
I had no problem building it with clang+llvm om OSX.

(I do however have problems actually using the lib, but right now I
attest that to problems behind the keyboard.)

Sodium uses std configure style build process and comes with a
comprehensive test system.

See more here:

http://labs.umbrella.com/2013/03/06/announcing-sodium-a-new-cryptographic-library/

https://github.com/jedisct1/libsodium