[cryptography] Recommendations for crypto package for ASP.NET 4.5

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 22:31:04 EDT 2013

Hi list,

I'm looking for some crypto package (preferably FOSS) that supports
some sort of authenticated encryption cipher mode (prefer GSM or CCM,
but anything without patent encumbrances will probably do) that will
work for ASP.NET 4.5 out-of-the-box. It can be built from C code if
there is a managed C++ wrapper around it so that the entire code base
is a managed assembly. (Our company no longer permits non-managed
application code in our ASP.NET deployments.)

Ideally, it would also be something simple for developers with little
or no crypto experience to use correctly (e.g., something like NaCL).
I checked and Sodium didn't mention any Windows ports, at least
as of yet, but would it be possible to use its Python port with
ASP.NET? There are Python implementations that apparently work
with the .NET CLR so perhaps those assemblies could be used with
C#??? E.g., http://pythonnet.sourceforge.net/; just not sure
what would be involved in making that work. Or perhaps there
are better options?

The .NET 4.5 framework itself only seems to support ECB, CBC, OFB,
CFB, and CTS modes....but no AE cipher modes. :-(
(
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.security.cryptography.ciphermode.aspx
)

Thanks for your help,
-kevin
We *cause* accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein