[cryptography] Recommendations for crypto package for ASP.NET 4.5

ianG iang at iang.org
Wed Mar 13 05:52:58 EDT 2013

Low quality comments follow...

On 13/03/13 05:31 AM, Kevin W. Wall wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm looking for some crypto package (preferably FOSS) that supports
> some sort of authenticated encryption cipher mode (prefer GSM or CCM,
> but anything without patent encumbrances will probably do) that will
> work for ASP.NET <http://ASP.NET> 4.5 out-of-the-box. It can be built
> from C code if
> there is a managed C++ wrapper around it so that the entire code base
> is a managed assembly. (Our company no longer permits non-managed
> application code in our ASP.NET <http://ASP.NET> deployments.)

I know this is OT but what is a managed wrapper or managed code, and why
doesn't your company permit it?

> Ideally, it would also be something simple for developers with little
> or no crypto experience to use correctly (e.g., something like NaCL).
> I checked and Sodium didn't mention any Windows ports, at least
> as of yet,

If your company has money, it might be able to finance someone to port
NaCL to C#.

A native library would be the near-best solution, although porting it
will be perceived as risk and out-of-scope by your company.

> but would it be possible to use its Python port with
> ASP.NET <http://ASP.NET>? There are Python implementations that
> apparently work
> with the .NET CLR so perhaps those assemblies could be used with
> C#??? E.g., http://pythonnet.sourceforge.net/; just not sure
> what would be involved in making that work. Or perhaps there
> are better options?

Going through any other language creates implementation and deployment
costs (I'm talking here about management, testing, config & deployment
bugs, not additional method calls...)

> The .NET 4.5 framework itself only seems to support ECB, CBC, OFB,
> CFB, and CTS modes....but no AE cipher modes. :-(
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.security.cryptography.ciphermode.aspx)

good luck,