[cryptography] Recommendations for crypto package for ASP.NET 4.5

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 20:30:51 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Kevin W. Wall <kevin.w.wall at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm looking for some crypto package (preferably FOSS) that supports
> some sort of authenticated encryption cipher mode (prefer GSM or CCM,
> but anything without patent encumbrances will probably do) that will
> work for ASP.NET 4.5 out-of-the-box. It can be built from C code if
> there is a managed C++ wrapper around it so that the entire code base
> is a managed assembly. (Our company no longer permits non-managed
> application code in our ASP.NET deployments.)
http://clrsecurity.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Security.Cryptography.dll

Security.Cryptography.dll provides a new set of algorithm
implementations to augment the built in .NET framework supported
algorithms. It also provides some APIs to extend the existing
framework cryptography APIs. Within this project you will find:

* A CNG implementation of the AES, RSA, HMACSHA2, and TripleDES
encryption algorithms
* A CNG implementation of a random number generator
* A CNG implementation of authenticated symmetric encryption.
* A class that allows dynamically creating algorithms both from this
library as well as all of the algorithms that ship with .NET 3.5
* An enumerator over all of the installed CNG providers on the current machine
* Extension methods that allow access to all of the keys installed in
a CNG provider, as well as all of the algorithms the provider supports
* Extension methods to access X509Certificates that store their key
with CNG, as well as create self signed X509Certificates.
* Other utility types and methods

Jeff