[cryptography] Keyspace: client-side encryption for key/value stores

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Mar 21 03:41:08 EDT 2013

Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> writes:

>Android 4.0 and above also offer a Keychain (
>http://developer.android.com/reference/android/security/KeyChain.html). If
>using a lesser version, use a Keystore (
>http://developer.android.com/reference/java/security/KeyStore.html).

What Android gives you is pretty rudimentary, it barely qualifies to use the
same designation as Apple's Keychain.

>Linux has not warmed up to the fact that userland needs help in storing
>secrets from the OS.

There's KWallet and Gnome Keyring, last time I looked KWallet was also pretty
primitive (about the level of Android's Keychain) and not being updated much,
but the Gnome Keyring seems to be actively updated.

Peter.