[cryptography] why did OTR succeed in IM?

ianG iang at iang.org
Sat Mar 23 05:25:31 EDT 2013

Someone on another list asked an interesting question:

      Why did OTR succeed in IM systems, where OpenPGP and x.509 did not?

(The reason this is interesting (to me?) is that there are not so many
instances in our field where there are open design competitions at this
level.  The results of such a competition can be illuminating as to what
matters and what does not.  E.g., OpenPGP v. S/MIME and SSH v. secure
telnet are two such competitions.)